Goldsborough logo

How to link Centrelink to MyGov online by using a digital identity

This article is particularly for people claiming the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card now that the income threshold has been lifted. It is estimated an additional 50,000 Australians will now be eligible.

It is likely these 50,000 Australians would have no previous relationship with Centrelink so will need to establish a CRN and prove their identity.

This article is not applicable to people who have already established their identity with Centrelink.

The way to prove your identity online is to use an app called myGovID, this is the only digital service provider authorised by myGov.

It is my understanding you need to follow this order;

  1. First establish a “strong” identity strength through myGovID.
  2. Sign into your myGov account using the myGovID app
  3. Link myGov to Centrelink.


If it is not done in this order and you start the linking process between myGov and Centrelink you will be required to present your identification in person in a service centre.

Here is the link explaining how to set up myGovID:

This is a reasonably easy process I did it myself last week, it is a matter of downloading an app to your phone, opening the app and following the prompts. You will need three forms of identification and then take a photo of yourself using the app to create a “strong” identity strength required for myGov.

Below is a link running through the steps enabling you to link myGov to Centrelink (including for those who do not have a CRN and have not provided identity to Centrelink previously)

Sam Martin
Certified Financial Planner® | Authorised Representative No. 252676

You might also be interested in…

As retirement is approaching, it's natural to reassess your financial strategies, ensuring a comfortable and stress-free retirement. For many, investment properties have been a cornerstone of wealth accumulation, but as retirement looms, it's prudent to review their role in your overall financial plan.
A significant area of inheritance tax “by stealth” is a deceased person’s superannuation benefits. Superannuation held by a person at the time of their death may include benefits in the accumulation phase, the pension phase, or a combination of both.